Published by wired_choice on

Internet services can be sold by municipalities themselves, nonprofits, small Internet service providers (ISPs), co-operatives, public utilities, public-private partnerships, and other community organizations. If the municipality operates the network under an open access policy, unused bandwidth capacity would be sold to ISPs for their use in retail. In other words, the municipality doesn’t have to become an ISP – it can build the network and let other companies sell services over it. To paraphrase from the film Field of Dreams, “If you build [a municipal network], [the ISPs] will come.”

To preserve the integrity of your wired network, whoever provides service must be under contractual obligation to provide wired connections only – no wireless or cellular transmitters should be permitted.